Sunday, May 11, 2008

Life in the bus lane


The other week I was driving from Wales to London Gatwick and passed a "National Express" bus on it's way from Swansea to Cardiff. On the side was sign 'Free Internet access' onboard. As a net freak with 3 hours boring driving ahead of me, it got me thinking about public transport and maybe that I should re-look at public transport in my future travels.

I'd recently used Gatwick and Heathrow expresses and they also had such features though in the casee of Heathrow, by the time you'd logged on, you'd be in Paddington.

When younger, I'd use National Express to travel. I quite enjoyed it though you'd have to allow some time to get there. This is similar to flying Southwest which if you are going a distance, allow for change overs. Some years back, I found a flight from Dallas to Seattle took us 8 hours. Not so good, if this is part of your long weekend.

With price of fuel going up, I see a resurgance of public transport for traveling. I love travelling by trains but in Texas, Forget it. Amtrak does go from Houston but I've been told it is such a slow trip. I envy North East for their choice.

I've yet to take a Greyhound bus trip but someday I will if only for the experience. But that brings up another disadvantage of publc transport: the public. You're hostage to having to sit next to some nut that nobody wishes to sit next to who may suddenly start singing.

Which brings me back to my car journey. As I got nearer to London, I picked up Eagle 96.4 and it was playing some rocking music. So I did something you cannot do on public transport: turn up the volume and sing your head off. Not unless you want to be regarded as some kinda nut that nobody wishes to sit next to that is..

Phileas Fogg,
Houston Texas but mentaly penned on M4 motorday going 'Up the smoke', UK

No comments: