Saturday, March 22, 2008

5 Star mirth at the 3 star Hotel

Normally trip memories are about the destination. It is not often one leaves with a favorable impression of a 3 star rated hotel.

My expectations for such a hotel are somewhere to dump my stuff, good WiFi connections, a comfy bed and hopefully, somewhere to get a beer. Every hotel claims it's staff are friendly but many just go through the motions.

It was therefore, a pleasant surprize to stay in "Fire and Ice" Hotel in Cape Town in early february.

I selected the hotel from guidebooks and it was plus to see it as one of the of the cheaper and available hotels on expedia (btw it was cheaper to book through the UK site rather than US - topic of a future discussion I am sure). If I remember right, Time Out guide to Cape Town had a good review with a picture on the climbing wall on the outside.

When I checked in I gave my last name, the receptionist without looking, gave me back my full name. Perhaps they'd had a good memory or my driver had secretely phoned ahead. Either way it was a slight "Wow" as I wasn't expecting it.

My room was on 1st floor and had a very comfortable double bed. Since it was just myself staying in the room, it was great for me. Some couples with a lot of luggage may find it a bit cramped but I was cool with it. It comes with a safe and electrical socket at the desk takes UK plugs. (I'd didn't see this until a day later and after I'd bought a SA electicity adaptor. Duh!!)

On the map, the hotel appears to be a distance from Waterfront which is the main tourist trap of Capetown. However it is only a few minutes taxi drive and cost ~30 Rand to get there from the hotel and 50 rand back from VA taxi rank.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. It is very 'young' in it's attitude, design and clientel.

The staff are friendly, attentive but also fun. Having checked in on saturday morning, I was stepping out to go exploring and there leaving the lobby, was the saturday group about to go climbing the wall. The staff accompanying the group were trying very hard to get me to join in. I watched for a while - it is bigger in real life - and went about my way. (36C was too hot for me.) The same friendly staff would later regularly 'shoot the breeze' over the week.

The design of the hotel was very 'modern'. It is almost an attraction in itself. The bar is a popular scene for the younger crowd and the restuarant has a very good calibre of food. I ate dinner there twice : The gourmet burgers - I had the Cogniac burger - are a delicious.

The pool area is small but memorable in that the pool side is part of the restuarant window. You can see into the swimming pool ! There is also a good view of Table mountain from the pool.

The elevators are worthy of a mention where one has been designed to appear as if you are in a shark cage.

Finally, I have to mention the toilets and the smoking room near the bar area. WTF you may say? Yep, check out the toilets and the smoking room.

The smoking room is called "the Coughing room" and seats are white coffins. Look up at the ceiling and you'll see a picture of a funeral where you are now down in the grave. The best incentive I've ever seen on giving up.

The toilets...There a 6, each with it's own design. "TO LET" was 1st and Covered in signs of TO LET. A very punny joke. The other 5 were had frosted glass on doors named:-

- Long Drop
- Stage Fright
- Out House
- Lou Rawls
- Temptation

I uploaded to google a short video of this hotel which shows these.

Maybe it is my sense humour but I really got a kick from this hotel and especially, it's "designer" toilets.

Good job F&I. I'd recommend ya as a stay.

Phileas Fogg,
March 29 2008
Houston, Texas

This is a rather belated blog but I've been monkeying with some video software to accompany the article.

No comments: